Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Day 57

I've been debating whether or not I should stop working out with my friends in order to go to the gym keeping a regular schedule so that I feel like I can fit in more things during the day. With the way it is now, my schedule is all over the place jumping here and there. Because my mind wants to work in an organized fashion, this being flexible nonsense is starting to wear on me! It's such a major dilemma because working out with my friends not only has kept me motivated, and not only has made the workouts go by faster and stay fun, but it's a major social time for me. It's almost worth having this messed up schedule so that I can have that time to vent or get my thoughts somewhere else, or just have girl talk and laugh. I'm not able to go out much because of all the millions of things Andrew and I are doing at home right now.
Where's the balance here?

I want to workout at the same time everyday. I want to study, clean the house, make dinner, at the same times everyday. My mind just feels like it's more productive that way.
I don't want to drop my friends but I think I have to if only to get to a point where I'm not feeling like I'm in this procrastination crunch. I'm feeling very unproductive and time is getting shorter. This is killing me.

Meals
1 bowl Honey Nut Cheerios
1 cup of milk
2 cups of water

1 whole wheat pita
1/4 cup hummus
1/2 cup cottage cheese
1/2 cucumber
1 tomato
1 apple
2 cups of water

3 cups of water

1 Fibre One peanut butter bar

1 Whopper with cheese
3/4 Angry Whopper

Exercise
30 minutes lower body machines
20 minutes stretching
69 minutes of steady pace treadmill, no incline
30 minutes lower body machines
10 minutes stretching

Notes:
-I started out with good food then after my 2.5 hour workout didn't really care anymore because I was so done and didn't want to think of coming home to make dinner. Andrew was putting in more of the kitchen floor so take out was the way to go tonight. I have to honestly say, it was disgusting. I kept having to squeeze mayo out because when I bit in to the burger that's all I could feel in my mouth. My tastes have definitely changed. There was a time where I was adding MORE mayo to these things. PUKE!
-I may have over done the workout today. I met one friend to do our normal strength training workout, then met another friend to do an entire cardio/strength workout. I think if I were to have split these workouts up during the day, it wouldn't have been so bad but I was exhausted afterwards. I'm not going to do that again.

4 comments:

  1. Once again, mmmm hummus. =) So, I get the work out dilemma. Do your friends just have crazy schedules that don't allow them to pick a time? It's not that hard! If they seriously have to work out at different times every day, maybe you could choose a couple days a week or something to work out with them and then keep to whatever time you want on the rest of the days. That way you still get your girl time but you can keep your sanity at the same time.
    I'll try to call you today. Miss you! Can't wiat to see you! YAY, pretty soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see you too!!!!
    They do have crazy schedules. One typically meets me at 1715h so it kind of ruins my whole day because all day long I'm thinking about going to the gym, like how many hours I have left to do "x" instead of just getting it over with when I wake up in the morning like I'd rather do. The other one works crazy 12 hour shifts, sometimes gets off early, or late, and so we can make a plan but many times it has to change; so it really is kind of hard when you're not working 9-5. 'Life of a nurse. Anyway, that's a good idea that I meet maybe once a week with them. I still don't know what to do. I'm so sick right now and so I don't even care at the moment. And you need to call me today! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Erin (and Erica), so I'm the one with the crazy hectic schedule. YES, I honestly am usually unable to just "pick a time" to workout. I try so hard to go to the gym with Erica - I've actually worked out with her a couple times at 8am after a 12 hour night shift when my I can't even keep my eyes open. I'm a nurse, working either 7am - 7pm, or 7 pm - 7am. If you think about that, it really doesn't allow me to be flexible AT ALL. So yeah, I feel terrible most of the time and am a bit hesitant to even offer a time to work out since usually it sucks. But I remind myself that Erica and I are friends and I like to think that we both make sacrifices to hang out and accomodate eachothers schedules. I would honestly love to not work at all and be able to go to the gym whenever, but unfortunately, bills have to be payed. Also, it's pretty difficult to pick a couple days a week to consistantly workout together becuase I do shift work - this means that I don't have a regular schedule every week. For instance, right now I'm working a stretch of ten 12 hour shifts, then I get one day off, then I work two more, then I'm off for a bit... Pretty random... But, like Erica says, it's the "life of a nurse"...
    Erica, I feel terrible about my crazy hectic schedule. I wish I was able to support you more by going to the gym consistantly with you. I've felt pretty bad after reading how you feel about how things have been going. I hate that I've contributed to making this even more challenging for you. I don't want to cause you to not go to the gym becuase I cancel, to wait all day to go to the gym with me when you don't want to, or to feel obligated to accomodate my schedule. I just want you to succeed in your goal to loose weight, and would love to help you acheive it. Let me know how to make this easier for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My dear, sweet friends!
    First off I don't blame anyone at all! This blog is a way to exercise a healthy practice of journalling, getting everything out so it's not stuck in my head, finding accountability, and a way for people to see why it's so hard for fat people to be thin.
    I may have not stressed this enough, but I LOVE going to the gym with my friends and the problem is about all the other crap I have to do in my life that my procrastination has lead me to and finding the time to do it all.
    Al, I don't blame you at all, as your schedule IS hectic and I totally understand how it's not very flexible most times. For you to sacrafice a lot of your time, time with Ric, time to relax from 14 or more hours away from you home, EVERYDAY, I am so unbelievably grateful to you for that. I think as friends, I 100% agree with you that we should make sacrafices for each other and you've proved that time and again to me. I hope I've done the same. This blog post was about all the other things in my life getting in the way of being able to make those sacrafices and feeling horrible about it! Nobody is causing me anymore frustration or grief than I'm putting on myself. You've been amazingly supportive and I wouldn't think of asking for anything more as you've gone above and beyond and for this I'm so grateful for our friendship! My hope is that when I can get back on my feet and feel like I've been able to dig myself a bit more out of this hole, I can be more able to meet you half way, finding time on your 13th hour of the day to work out for another 2 hours, or making you stay up and extra 2 hours in the early hours of the morning. You are an amazing person and an even more amazing friend, and I need you to know that because I fear that it hasn't come across here.
    Erin, I think you meant that if we made a time, then we stick to it--that's not hard. I'm not complaining about being cancelled on or not sticking to it because there haven't been any problems like that. I think I wasn't clear. I'm complaining at how I'm an idiot for making my life so stressed that I can't make time for my friends so I have to drop a lot of what I was doing until I can. This makes me feel unbelievable selfish and horrible.
    I really want people to see why fat people aren't thin. This is a perfect example of just one of the many struggles that you can go through. In my case, I rely heavily on that support from my friends, maybe too much, and so I WANT to make time for them as much as possible--It's good for me losing weight, and it's good for our relationship to be able to meet each other and have a good time doing something we're both benefitting from. So please let me apologize if I've not been clear, but this dilemma I'm having is about me being stupid, and really has nothing to do with my amazing friends. I couldn't ask for better friends. I love you guys.

    ReplyDelete