Monday, June 29, 2009

Day 14--Week 2

337.8 lbs...down 2.2 pounds for 6.4 total pounds lost.

Yay me!! Now the experts (current common knowledge) recommend a healthy weight loss of 1-2 pounds per week. All I'm doing is exercising and portion controlling my food. I don't think I could lose less than I am without putting in this effort. I am not taking any commercial weight loss products. The food that I'm eating is bought from a grocery store and I have not consulted with a nutritionist. The information I am using to guide my weight loss has been previously mentioned--going by the recommendations of the Canada Food Guide, as well as knowledge I previously gained through personal research as well as the formal education I've received while earning my Bachelor's degree in Nursing. I do not have a fitness instructor and the exercise I am doing is of my own regime, as well as loosely following a weight lifting program designed for a friend by her person trainer. This is to get me comfortable with lifting weights. I may decide in the future to consult with a personal trainer. When I reach a plateau, I will determine the changes necessary at that time. For now, this is working and I am ecstatic!

I'm very prideful about being able to do this on my own. I am so against gastric bypass surgery for myself as others have suggested I look in to. I see it as an easy way out, again for myself as I believe I have it in me to change without what I feel are extreme measures. I feel that I have the time, motivation, support, and whatever else to facilitate a way of healthy living at this time without extreme intervention. I support others who use whatever means necessary to facilitate their own healthy life. I applaud all who are willing to change. Whenever I see someone who has lost extreme amounts of weight by any means, I am inspired by their dedication. I feel a twinge of motivation from those that have done it the way I am doing, and therefore this is what pushes me most and how I believe I'll be most successful. This is a difficult battle; to change a lifestyle that you've had all your lifetime as I have, or even a short amount of time that's become familiar and comfortable. One day at a time. Change is possible.

Meals
1 bowl of Raisin and Spice oatmeal
1 cup of milk
4 apricots

5 cups of water

1 sub bun
2 oz black forest ham
2 tsp Dijon mustard
1 cup of spinach, tomato, pickles
10 All Dressed chips
2 cups of water

2 graham crackers
2 cups of water

1 taco (ground beef 2 oz, yogurt, lettuce, tomato)
1 hot dog
1 hot dog bun
1 piece of BBQ chicken 2 oz
1/2 cup potato salad
2 cups of water

2 graham crackers
1 square of Lindt 70% dark chocolate chili filled
1/2 cup of water

Exercise
60 minutes treadmill interval hill
40 minutes upper body free weights/abs
25 minutes stretching

Notes:
-I'm still trying to finish all our leftovers from this weekend.
-Exercise was awesome today except that I felt very tired during the whole thing. I believe it's from taking 3 days off that my body was so glad I was resting, it tried to forget what I've put it through the last 2 weeks. :) Hopefully I'll be able to work with energy tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on the continued success! I was going to comment last night about the scale thing because weight does fluctuate throughout the day. I am a bit scale obsessed to the point where I know what a difference clothes (or different clothes), shoes (or different shoes, or no shoes), and time of day, especially shortly after eating makes. Really I think the scale can be a torture device! Clearly what you are doing is working, just stick with it and try to only weigh in once a week (same time of day, wearing the same thing).
    As for seeing bigger numbers than the average here is my take: I think the whole 1-2 lbs/week thing is like so many other medical averages (like regular 5 minute apart pattern of contractions in labor and so on)...in the long term it probably will average to that, but in the short term it seems off. I know I have had weeks where I have lost 5 lbs, but then other weeks where I haven't lost any (or gained), but looking at total weight loss versus weeks dieted it is close to fitting that 1-2 lb/week loss (and I imagine it will get closer as time passes).
    As for gastric bypass, the idea of changing one's internal organs so dramatically is to say the very least terrifying! I am a discovery channel junkie and they have had quite a few stories about people who have lost their lives both during the surgery or later because of various complications. Besides, going back to the recommended weight loss/week, such extreme interventions seem to yield a quicker weight loss. Obviously there must be complications to that, too! Just my opinion, but I, also, think there is more chance of long term success with eating less and exercising more than any other way of loosing weight!

    ReplyDelete