Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Day 75-78--Week 11 (plus one day)

Weight: 331 pounds; stayed even this week; -18 pounds total

Just a note about my weight--I am shocked that with NO intentional exercise, not really watching my food, and adding all the s'mores and dutch oven cherry crunch that camping this week had to offer, I didn't gain any weight. It must be because we sweat out most of the extra pounds through heat and walking.

It was 30 degrees (okay maybe 28/29 degrees) every day--so hot and a bit miserable after any activity. I also can't stand having dirty feet; I hate the feel of having dry feet rubbing against dirt, dirt in my between my toes, and just feeling not clean feet. This was really bad because I decided to only bring flip flops (which I LOVE to wear instead of being confined in runners--kind of ironic) so I spent the entire time in dirty feet which I had to keep going to the washroom to clean in order to help me feel better. Madness!

We went to a corn maze near the campsite which I swear we were walking around getting ourselves lost in for over an hour and Andrew thinks we were only in there a half hour. Being lost and not knowing your direction, on top of claustrophobia, dirty feet, and sweatiness made for an interesting time. It was fun; I was just extremely ready to be done with the maze by the end. We were with some friends which included their 3 year old daughter we call niece who didn't seem to notice any heat, dirt, or exhaustion. I wish I had that kind of ignorance--a blissful, peaceful kind of ignorance that makes the world a perfect place to be anywhere you are. We also had B with us running around barking and marking at every chance he got. He seemed to notice the heat a bit, his tongue permanently fixed to his chin the entire weekend. This was our first time bringing him camping with us and I'm glad we did. It got him a change of scenery that we're sure he was just finally adjusting to by the time we left. His breed makes him a bit protective of the pack, on guard most of the time, wide eyed at every noise and a warning bark at any passersby. The cutest thing was because he didn't have our bed to curl up to at bedtime, around the campfire the first night he circled around for snakes, dug a little hole, and curled up into his earthly makeshift bed. He usually retires around 2200-2300h every night signaling to us that it's bedtime even though that night we wanted a few more minutes enjoying the fire, so he made a bed right next to us. It's humbling how dogs can be so adaptable to any situation. We could take a lesson from them to make contentment with what you have.

All in all it was a good trip although I'm unbelievably happy to be home to my own bed that I don't have to share with another person and a dog who kick me to the edge all night, stealing my blankets--oh wait, I do--and my own shower complete with soap. As we were driving home, Andrew said he needed a vacation. I agreed. Camping is hard work. We are getting used to it though, the more we go the more conveniences we've accumulated and remembered to bring making it a little easier each time. 'And after dinner for the few hours around the campfire with family and or friends, while the sun sets and the stars begin to shine, for me, makes it all worth it. As much as I'm still recovering from the lack of sleep and the tired muscles, I can't wait to go again next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment